Class 12: Get Unfiltered and Pop the Bubble

If I may make a connection between Pariser and Rushkoff, I’d say that the one of the main themes that our two readings share is that we have to be aware of how our digital experience is constructed and how they are manufactured. While Rushkoff enumerates some steps to ensure that we are not consumed by our digital experience, Pariser outlines the consequences of the bubble. One of the most troubling revelations that Pariser makes is that we cannot access the recipe for how the filter is formulated and thus are almost helpless in accessing an open Internet. To grow as a society and culture, we cannot have a myopic experience, especially since we don’t have any idea for how to open up that experience.

I think today, we exposed that our access to the Internet is not a completely open experience, and we have some sense for fighting back against the filters.

Also, thanks to Donald for sharing Disconnect, a tool for helping protect our online experience.

This entry was posted in Lectures, The Filter Bubble (Pariser) and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Class 12: Get Unfiltered and Pop the Bubble

1. nelia100 says:

Response to Group 4 Presentation-Noreen Elia

I found the internet as private sphere section of our course to be one of the most interesting and informative parts of it. After having read The Filter Bubble Eli Pariser, and with the presentations that Group 4 did (very well done by the way!!)

The internet world has changed so much and is a constantly evolving mechanism. The way that we surf, e-mail, chat, query, google and purchase determines what “suggestions” will pop-up as we cruise along on the information superhighway.

I for one, see this as a both a helpful tool and also as a hindrance on my personal preferences. Why should the internet or any of the bots determine what ads I see? Maybe today I am looking online for text books or my next reading endeavor so I am “pigeon-holed” into only those categories that I searched. Maybe I want to look up something about else, say for example sports or how an engine works? Should that not be my choice? Which is the why the “track me not” application for Mozilla Firefox has now been downloaded. 🙂

Pariser’s book and his live presentation that was shown to us in class is dead-on. We should not be personalized without our knowledge if we do not choose to be. Being a media studies major I have learned a lot about media and the history of film, but yet I am an avid music fan who is also a vegetarian and concerned with animal rights. I should not just have little “hey-you might like this “go vegan” website or the latest download for i-tunes. I choose NOT to live in a bubble, in fact-my filter bubble has been popped.