M.Mitchell on Morzov vs. Shirky

What is the Internet good for? The Internet is good depending on the way in which it is used. What’s good for some may be bad for others. The same way one individual may handle a life situation can be totally different from how another may handle that same situation. The ability to send and receive information with in an instant moment is incredible. I have  lived my childhood without the internet. It was a time when handwriting a letter was a more personable action to take. It meant that who ever wrote the letter cared enough about the receiver and physically put the letter in a mailbox.  How often is that done today? I feel that e-mail gives me the opportunity to write to many people much more often at a low cost. That’s a positive. The U.S. Postal Service is losing a great deal of business since the advent of e-mail which is a negative to that agency. Shirkey would probably agree that e-mail is a positive use of the internet. Morozov would probably agree as well but would be cautious of what can be done with e-mail being sent. What messages would be sent? How would they be interpreted? Both authors sparked interesting thoughts of the positive and negative concerning the internet. The ability to have access to so much information at my fingertips is amazing to say the least. I feel at a disadvantage if I don’t have access to it.  The recent hurricane Sandy damaged my home. My family and I had no power in it for two weeks. What did I miss the most? The access to all of the information available on the internet and the ability to connect with family members all at one time. A big positive!

This entry was posted in The Net Delusion (Morozov). Bookmark the permalink.